Who can take out home insurance?

Home insurance is a topic that often comes up when you own or rent a home. Since legislative measures were taken to force certain people to take out this insurance, confusion has arisen. Who can take out home insurance? Discover some answers in this guide.

The tenants

Before the Alur law, uniquely the tenants who occupied unfurnished accommodation were obliged to sign a multi-risk home contractapartment home insurancelease, proof of insurance will be requested from your lessor.

The same action will be repeated every year or on the anniversary of your contract. Thanks to that insurance, the owner will have a guarantee that the damage you cause to others and to the accommodation is covered. As a tenant, you are free to choose the insurance company. However, you must remain attentive to the guarantees included in your contract and it must meet your needs.

You may have to deal with landlords who have already taken out insurance for housing that you want to occupy. In this case, at his request, a “waiver of recourse” guarantee against the tenant is included in the contract. Each time your insurer has to intervene for a claim, you will be required to reimburse the costs linked to the guarantee.

Occupant owners

Unlike tenants, home insurance is not obligatory for the owner-occupiers. However, if you took out a mortgage loan to purchase your property, it becomes valid. Your house being a reimbursement solution for your bank, the latter must ensure its restoration after a disaster. Even if you are not interested in a mortgage loan, it is advisable to take out one. when you have HRM insurance, it is possible to be compensated in the event of:

  • natural disaster,
  • fire,
  • burglary, etc.

In the absence of an insurance certificate, you will be ordered to bear the financial expenses alone to restore the damage caused. You will also be obliged to take recourse against those responsible for the claims who have caused you damage.

Non-occupying owners or lessors

As the owner-occupiers, non-occupying owners can take out home insurance even if the law does not require it. This contract allows you to receive compensation when a home suffers damage. Insurance companies have provided PNO (non-occupying owner) insurance for this purpose. As a lessor, you can subscribe to it and include several guarantees. We can cite :

  • tenant recourse guarantee;
  • material damage guarantee;
  • the glass breakage guarantee;
  • guarantee of recourse from neighbors and third parties, etc.
A lire également  What are the financing solutions for a business?

To cover damage caused to your neighborhood, you can count on civil liability which is automatically included in your contract.

The co-owners

Do you own an apartment? You must also subscribe to a co-ownership home insurance. This subscription has become compulsory since the application of the Alur law. There is no question of letting each co-owner take out insurance individually. This task is reserved for a syndicate mandated for the building. This may be an external service or a group of co-owners (volunteer trustee).

Before choosing the appropriate insurance, the trustee will request a quote from several companies. In this case, he must have knowledge of the losses caused over the last three years. After this step, he submits them to the council made up of owners. Taking into account the cost and the guarantees included in the offers, all parties must agree on a choice. Generally speaking, co-ownership insurance covers:

  • water damage;
  • fires ;
  • flights ;
  • elevator accidents;
  • natural disasters, etc.


There is also civil liability for all owners of the building. In the event of a loss from a private party, it is thanks to this guarantee that the person responsible will be covered. To pay insurance costs, for example, the price is shared equally between all parties. An owner can, however, pay an additional premium to the insurer, if it decides that the risks of a disaster are high.

Insurers may be reluctant to insure your building. This often happens when the latter is located in a red zone (mountain, flood, fire, etc.). In this case you can call on the central pricing office to accompany you.

In short, taking out home insurance is necessary when you are a tenant or co-owner. Landlords or owner-occupiers are not obliged to take out insurance. However, they can do so to protect themselves from possible disasters.